9 tips to relocate to a new city with minimum stress
Jul 25 2017
Hire the best moving company before you shift
Looking for local moving companies?
Hunting for the top moving companies which could move you anywhere in India?
Searching for a international moving company?
Find the best moving company, only on Glovve.com.
Glovve offers you a complete suite of house shifting services. Choose trusted, verified service providers for Car Transportation, Home Search, Packers and Movers, Storage Solutions, Furniture Rentals, Home Settling-in Services, Office Moves and more.
Moving can be a stressful and fretful process. However, you can make it a good deal smoother with proper planning.
What are your areas of concern while relocating?
Some of your belongings may be fragile and would require special care. Make a note of these. Yet others which are sturdier may demand specific techniques to be handled. List these separately.
Remember that when you do not take adequate precautions during packing then you should also be ready to bear the consequences - damage, repairs, loss of the item, etc. Here are some tips that will ease your move tensions.
1. Budget your moving expense
First, assign a specific amount of money for moving. This enables you to have a better understanding of how much you need for everything to go smoothly.
Don't set your budget too low. An appropriate budget provides an accurate estimation of the transportation cost. If you’re uncertain about the costs, glovve.com's marketplace will allow you to compare costs based on your household input. Use this to alter, or arrive at your budget.
2. Decide on how you wish to move
Are you hiring movers, or are you renting a moving truck and handling a self-move?
Movers, will handle your entire move from the start to the end. But, they will surely cost you more. You can crack a good deal if you compare quotes and plan your move ahead of time. This is where Glovve comes to your rescue again.
If you rent a truck you will need to pay rent for it. There may not be any guarantees that you get from the transport company. The planning may take too long. You may risk injury, or even cause damage to items. So a self-move may not necessarily work for you.
You need to fully examine the pros and cons of your options before you move.
3. Put away unwanted items
It is a smart decision to sell off, or donate the items which you don’t need. These extra pieces of belongings add up to the cost of your move. You need to make a call on what to move and what not to.
Jot down the list of the items moving with you. This helps you to keep the track on your belongings. Equally, make a list of things you wish to sell, give away, or donate.
4. Disconnect your utility services.
Ensure that your electricity, natural gas, water, sewage and internet services are terminated at the right time. Equally, find out in advance about utilities in your new city so that you can plan to have these services at the soonest when you move. Ensure that your bills don’t pile up when you are not using utility services.
5. Make a list for grocery shopping.
Your first need at your new destination takes you to a grocery store. You may also need a garbage can, cleaning products, and other odds and ends right away. Locate a grocer nearby and plan for this in advance.
6. Provision for unexpected expenses.
Expecting a smooth move is optimistic. Things can and do go horribly wrong though.
You need to keep aside money for unexpected expenses. You may need to pay a deposit to the local municipality for water, telephone, electricity, or even your internet connection.
If such situation arises you must be in the position to meet the unexpected expenses.
7. Plan to pack your antique furniture with utmost care.
Do note that products like oil and wax soften the finish on your wood making it vulnerable to imprinting. This is why you should avoid using them before a move, particularly if your furniture is getting into storage.
8. Renew your insurance cover
Your insurance rates too fluctuate when you change your address.
It would be wise to research first then anticipate the impact it may have on your moving budget.
Make it a point to have an insurance cover for your move too.
9. Supervise unloading and delivery at your destination
After safe arrival at your destination, carefully check all your antiques, collectibles and other household goods against your checklist.
If you had hired movers and packers for the transport, check whether you need any servicing, reassembly or if there is a need to file a claim for damage.
These are a few tips you can use when you move. Glovve, can help you move with the best movers in your city.. Because movers are rated by them objectively for their services, you can be sure that you get what is promised. What’s best, you also get the Glovve Guarantee.
Glovve offers more than just movers and packers
These cover all the stages of moving house and delivers you peace of mind.
- Begin your house shift with finding a new house on rent or for sale in your new locality, or city. Put an entire team of trusted realtors to find it for you, quickly and efficiently.
- Plan to rent furniture, appliances, or vehicles in your new city. Discover why renting is smarter than buying.
- Get trusted Packers & Movers to move you to 260 destinations in India. Glovve helps you with packing and moving services for local city house shifting, intercity home shifting, and international home moving. Get instant quotes free of charge, read reviews of movers and packers, and make informed home shifting decisions that give you peace of mind.
- Benefit from Glovve’s car transportation service to shift your car, bike, or SUV safely. Experienced movers stand by.
- Think of storing household items that you do not use often, but are too precious to dispose of, in our state-of-the-art storage facilities. Improve your living space and reduce the clutter.
- Take advantage of our new home settling-in services to ease into your new house. Find maids, plumbers, electricians and more without hassles.
- And finally, if you wish to move your business, or office, explore Glovve’s Office Shifting services.
How to hire a professional moving company
Where do you wish to move your home?
1. Fill in the details of your home move
2. Get instant estimates from verified packers and movers from your city
3. Compare mover prices. Check packers and movers' profiles, reviews, and ratings.
4. Choose the packers and movers who best fits your budget and expectations
5. Book and track your move online
6. Gain from Glovve guarantees against moving delays and damage to your items.
Save grief with trusted local moving service
1. Why would you move with unknown, unverified moving company?
2. Why would you risk damage, or loss to your precious household items?
3. Why should you put up with delays from a moving company?
4. Why would you choose half a moving service when you can get the complete moving services at Glovve?
Read our FAQs on moving to understand the benefits of moving with Glovve's Packers and Movers.
More tips to choose an expert moving company
Did you find quality moving services?
Haven't found the best moving company yet? Hire them at Glovve.com.
Did you find this guide useful for your move?
Would you like us to add anything to this?
Do share your thoughts with us here.