10 things to check before renting a house
Mar 08 2018
Things to check before renting a house
Looking to rent a house locally?
Need help renting a house abroad?
Glovve offers you a complete suite of house shifting services. Choose trusted, verified service providers for Home Search, Car Transportation, Packers and Movers, Storage Solutions, Furniture Rentals, Home Settling-in Services, Office Moves and more.
One of the most important things when moving to a new city is finding a good house. Ideally, your home search should start before you actually move.
If you are moving for a new job, you can ask your office colleagues or HR for help. If you are moving in search of a new job, the ideal thing would be to ask a friend or relative to help you find accommodation. If none of this works, you can always look at sites like 99acres, Housing, MagicBricks or similar real estate sites.
Renting a house isn’t easy. Before you decide to rent a place it is important to carefully inspect the house and the area you’ll be staying in. After all, you don’t want to be stuck in an uncomfortable house with unfriendly neighbours, right?
To make sure you do not end up renting a house you won’t enjoy living in, we’ve put together a list of 10 very important questions you must ask before renting a house.
1. Research the area
Depending on your lifestyle and budget, decide if the house you’re planning to rent is right for you.If you travel by public transport too often, make sure your house is in a place that is easily accessible. If you have your own vehicle, make sure it will be safe when parked outside. If you have children, ensure it is safe for them too.
2. Who are your neighbours?
They say your neighbour is the first person you turn to in times of need. Also, if your neighbour is someone grumpy or mischievous and keeps picking fights over tiny things, you’ll end up feeling miserable in your own house. All this drama can easily be avoided if you talk to them before renting the house. You can’t get to know them too well on the first day itself, but you can still grasp if they are warm and friendly or cold and distant.
3. Is water available 24X7?
If you are moving from a place where this wasn’t a problem, it’s very easy to forget this. But it is a very important question that you must never forget to ask.
24 hours water supply is still a luxury in many parts of the country. If you are taking help of a broker for renting a house, ask him about this. Ask your neighbours and the building watchmen about it.
If water supply is a problem, ask your landlord what arrangements they have made for it. Ask how others in the area manage this problem and work it out before you sign the agreement.
4. Is electricity a problem?
Like water, electricity also is an issue in many parts of India. If you are moving from a place where it isn’t, you’ll be surprised to know how many people use power backups and generators in their homes. This is true even for many areas in major metros.
To avoid disappointment, ask your landlord about it. If electricity is an issue, ask about how it can be managed.
5. What is the rent and security deposit?
A security deposit is a fixed amount of money that a tenant is required to pay before moving in the house. Landlords usually use this in case the tenants cause any harm or damage to their property. The amount is decided based on the rent you pay and is a one time payment.
Before agreeing on the rent, it is advisable that you ask what the usual rates around are. Once the rent has been decided and the contract has been signed, you won’t be able to step back. If you find the rent too expensive or unaffordable, back out before signing the papers.
6. Will the landlord paint the house before you move in?
For tenants, this is usually a given. But if the landlord has recently renovated the house or doesn’t feel the need to, he might refuse to do it.
Also check for cracks and leakage. Based on the condition of the house, you can take a call.
If you really like the house and are willing to spend some money, you can offer to do it yourself. But always ask before making any changes in the house.
7. Are you allowed to decorate the house?
By decorate, we mean drilling holes or putting up wallpapers. You’d be surprised to find out how many landlords refuse to let tenants drill holes on the walls.
If you are a fan of wallpapers or have a lot of shelves that need to be hanged, this might be a problem for you.
8. What is included in the rent?
Who will be paying the water and electricity bills? What about the society charges? If any repairs or damages need to be taken care of, who will pay for it?
9. Are guests allowed?
This is a major problem especially if you are a single person renting a house. It’s funny how so many landlords don’t allow you to bring guests over.
If you have a lot of friends or family who might visit often, let your landlord know about it right away. You don’t want them poking their nose in your life once you’ve rented the house, right?
10. Is there a parking space available?
This is a very important if you own a vehicle. If no, where do other around park their vehicles? A lot of housing complexes have dedicated parking spaces. If your landlord hadn’t already bought one, ask if you can rent one. If dedicated parking areas are available, this shouldn’t really be a problem.
Adjusting to life in a new city isn’t easy. But it gets a lot simpler if you find a home and neighbours you like.
When moving to a new city, it is natural to fell disoriented and lonely. To help you deal with this, we’ve put together City Guides for most major cities in India. This will help you get to know the city you are moving to.
Have a stress-free move with Glovve's A to Z house shifting services
These cover all the stages of moving house and delivers you peace of mind.
- Begin your house shift with finding a new house on rent or for sale in your new locality, or city. Put an entire team of trusted realtors to find it for you, quickly and efficiently.
- Plan to rent furniture, appliances, or vehicles in your new city. Discover why renting is smarter than buying.
- Get trusted Packers & Movers to move you to 260 destinations in India. Glovve helps you with packing and moving services for local city house shifting, intercity home shifting, and international home moving. Get instant quotes free of charge, read reviews of movers and packers, and make informed home shifting decisions that give you peace of mind.
- Benefit from Glovve’s car transportation service to shift your car, bike, or SUV safely. Experienced movers stand by.
- Think of storing household items that you do not use often, but are too precious to dispose of, in our state-of-the-art storage facilities. Improve your living space and reduce the clutter.
- Take advantage of our new home settling-in services to ease into your new house. Find maids, plumbers, electricians and more without hassles.
- And finally, if you wish to move your business, or office, explore Glovve’s Office Shifting services.
If you are planning to move home to a new city in India, hire trusted and verified packers and movers from Glovve. Get FREE moving quotes instantly, in 4 simple steps.
1. Fill out your moving details here.
2. Compare quotes from Glovve verified packers and movers.
3. Choose the one best suited for your needs.
4. Move tenison-free with Glovve.
How to hire professional packers and movers
Where do you wish to move your home?
1. Shift Your Home Locally Within the city?
2. Move your home from one city to another Indian city?
3. Relocate internationally to or from the city?
6 steps to choose the best packers and movers
1. Fill in the details of your home move
2. Get instant estimates from verified packers and movers from your city
3. Compare mover prices. Check packers and movers' profiles, reviews, and ratings.
4. Choose the packers and movers who best fits your budget and expectations
5. Book and track your move online
6. Gain from Glovve guarantees against moving delays and damage to your items.
Save grief with trusted local packers and movers
1. Why would you move with unknown, unverified packers and movers?
2. Why would you risk damage, or loss to your precious household items when you shift?
3. Why should you put up with delays from packers and movers?
4. Why would you choose half a moving service when you can get the complete moving services at Glovve?
Read our FAQs on moving to understand the benefits of moving with Glovve's Packers and Movers.
More tips to choose the expert packers and movers
If you found this article useful, do share it with your friends on social media. If you know someone who is moving to a new city and is planning to rent a house, share this and tag them on Facebook. Or simply tweet to them using the hashtag #SmartHomeMoving and @GlovveSHM
Have anything you wish to add to this article? Wish to share your renting-a-home story with us? We’d be delighted to know all about it in the comments section below.